Friday 8 April 2011

Her Majesty's Pleasure: Sovereign House HMSO, Anglia Square pt 1

Built, along with the rest of the brutalist Anglia Square complex, in the late 1960s / early 1970s, the office block Sovereign House - former headquarters for the city's Her Majesty's Stationary Office - has stood empty since the late 1990s.

The building looms large over Anglia Square. Of particular note are the two gorgeous spiral staircases on the sides of the building. (Perhaps only a flase rumour, but I have heard that these act as quite dangerous wind-tunnels, slamming doors all the way up to the top).

The side facing away from the precinct has been used for sanctioned graffiti competitions in the past. The current plans to flatten Anglia Square and rework the area would see the building's inevitable demolition.















1 comment:

  1. Ah hell yes! I've wanted to look in here for as long as I can remember. I almost don't want you to tell me how you got in because I think I'd go and do it myself and I don't trust myself to not get caught.

    Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete